The Vancouver Youth Choir is our flagship ensemble. Open to singers aged 15-24, this auditioned group of advanced young musicians is dedicated, passionate, and joyful about music-making. Members represent over eight municipalities in the lower mainland, including six different high schools and five different post-secondary institutions. From engineering students to high school volleyball players, and from registered doulas to future opera singers, the singers of Vancouver Youth Choir are united by their love of the choral art form and their desire to contribute to their communities.
Now in their fifth season, VYC has quickly established itself as a force to be reckoned with in the Canadian choral community. VYC is now recognized as one of Canada's finest youth choirs, having recently won first prize in its category in the 2017 National Competition for Canadian Amateur Choirs. The choir is fast gaining visibility internationally as well; VYC represented Canada at the 2016 International Choral Festival in Missoula (Montana), and will be attending, by invitation, the Festival International Choral en Provence in July 2018. This season, VYC was absolutely thrilled to have Charles Bruffy in residence for four days of rehearsals and workshops that culminated in a collaborative concert. VYC has been featured on CBC radio, at the Push International Performing Arts Festival, is proud to be in its fourth season as an Associate Choir of the Vancouver Chamber Choir.
Become a singer with this exciting choral ensemble!
Vancouver Youth Choir is for singers who:
- are ages 15 to 24
- are passionate about singing, and have choral experience
- enjoy performing and travelling/touring with other singers
- have some music reading skills, a strong sense of pitch, and an understanding of basic vocal technique
- are open to all types and styles of music
VYC singers can look forward to:
- Weekly rehearsals with people who love what you love
- Eclectic, varied and challenging music, ranging from Monteverdi to Dan Mangan, Brazilian folk-music to cutting edge Estonian composers
- Workshops and clinics with Canada’s top vocal and choral experts
- Performance tours and travel
- Local concerts at the city’s top venues
- Collaboration with other choirs and singers from across the Pacific Northwest
- $650 annual fee or quarterly instalments ($162.50 on Sep 1, Nov 1, Jan 1, and Mar 1)
- $80 uniform Fee
- $20 VYC T-shirt
Bursaries available for singers in need
Rehearsals: Wednesdays 6:45-9:15pm